About this NPA
The Employment and Industrial Relations National Practice Area (NPA) comprises of civil and criminal matters arising under the Fair Work jurisdiction and related legislation including:
- workplace-related applications
- writs of mandamus or prohibition
- matters transferred or appealed from the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, other Courts or the Fair Work Commission.
- 21 Sep 2022:
United Firefighters' Union of Australia v Country Fire Authority (No 3)  FCA 1116
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application by applicant to join a party as a respondent under r 9.05(1) of the Federal Court Rules 2011 (Cth) - application refused
Judge: O'Callaghan J
- 19 Sep 2022:
Mpinda v Fair Work Commission  FCA 1111
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application for unfair dismissal - applications for summary dismissal and stay of proceedings - applicant contends that the second and third respondents entered into a settlement agreement regarding unfair dismissal application without his consent -whether facts in the originating application and supporting material…
Judge: Feutrill J
- 19 Sep 2022:
Thomas v Romeo Lockleys Asset Partnership  FCA 1106
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application for approval of the settlement of two representative proceedings under s 33V of the Federal Court of Australia Act 1976 (Cth) - where lead applicants allege that they did not receive their full entitlements under the General Retail Industry Award 2010 for the hours worked in contravention of the Fair Work Act…
Judge: Charlesworth J
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing proceedings are:
- Commencing an originating application alleging dismissal in contravention of a general protection proceeding:
- Commencing application for a writ of mandamus, prohibition or injunction under section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth) must file:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.