About this NPA
The Employment and Industrial Relations National Practice Area (NPA) comprises of civil and criminal matters arising under the Fair Work jurisdiction and related legislation including:
- workplace-related applications
- writs of mandamus or prohibition
- matters transferred or appealed from the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, other Courts or the Fair Work Commission.
- 29 Sep 2023:
Toma v Fair Work Commission  FCA 1163
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application for leave to appeal from decision to refuse leave to pursue racial discrimination action against Fair Work Commission and summary judgment - where applicant alleges apprehended bias by primary judge due to previous associations while in practice - where applicant alleges actual bias by primary judge - where…
Judge: Bromwich J
- 29 Sep 2023:
Fair Work Ombudsman v Foot & Thai Massage Pty Ltd (in liquidation) (No 7)  FCA 1164
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application to set aside a notice to produce documents and a notice to admit facts - where notices issued after determination of liability and only remaining issues in the proceeding relate to orders for compensation, penalties and the form of declaratory relief - whether documents and admissions sought have any apparent…
Judge: Katzmann J
- 27 Sep 2023:
Twomey v Que 5 Pty Ltd  FCA 1155
INDUSTRIAL LAW - judicial review of decisions of Fair Work Commission - permission to appeal to Full Bench of Fair Work Commission refused - unfair dismissal - minimum employment period - small business employer - application dismissed
Judge: Jackson J
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing proceedings are:
- Commencing an originating application alleging dismissal in contravention of a general protection proceeding:
- Commencing application for a writ of mandamus, prohibition or injunction under section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth) must file:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.