About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 26 Sep 2018:
Stock on behalf of the Nyiyaparli People v State of Western Australia (No 5)  FCA 1453
NATIVE TITLE - determination of native title by consent pursuant to s 87 of Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - appropriate to make orders
Judge: Barker J
- 13 Sep 2018:
Muir on behalf of the Manta Rirrtinya People v State of Western Australia  FCA 1388
NATIVE TITLE - determination of native title by consent under s 87 of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth)
Judge: Charlesworth J
- 6 Sep 2018:
Anderson on behalf of the Warrabal People v State of Queensland  FCA 1365
NATIVE TITLE - whether applicant should be granted leave to discontinue native title determination application - where discontinuance sought because view taken by applicant that claim fatally flawed - whether disruptions could be caused to related matters if claim discontinued and a new claim made - whether relevant that applicant failed to give…
Judge: Rangiah J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.