About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 18 Jan 2019:
Pate v State of Queensland  FCA 25
NATIVE TITLE - non-claimant application for a negative determination of native title under s 61(1) of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (the NTA) - where the application is unopposed under s 86G of the NTA - the principles relevant to the exercise of the Court's discretion to make a negative native title determination - the nature of s 24FA…
Judge: Reeves J
- 11 Jan 2019:
Huddleston v Northern Territory of Australia  FCA 6
NATIVE TITLE - application to replace a named deceased applicant with another person under s 66B of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - application granted
Judge: Griffiths J
- 21 Dec 2018:
Kemppi v Adani Mining Pty Ltd (No 5)  FCA 2104
COSTS - application for costs - whether there should be a departure from the usual rule that costs ordinarily follow the event - whether there are circumstances justifying some other order - whether this proceeding was being pursued in the public interest - whether issues concerning the construction of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) justified…
Judge: Reeves J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.