About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 12 Apr 2018:
Lewis on behalf of the Warrabinga-Wiradjuri #6 v Attorney-General of New South Wales  FCA 481
NATIVE TITLE - interlocutory application by Mr Keith Kemp to be joined as a party to the proceedings pursuant to s 84(5) of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (joinder application) - joinder application dismissed, with no order as to costs
Judge: Griffiths J
- 6 Apr 2018:
Croft on behalf of the Barngarla Native Title Claim Group v State of South Australia (No 3)  FCA 552
NATIVE TITLE - application to amend a determination of native title - orders made.
Judge: White J
- 29 Mar 2018:
Eagles on behalf of the combined Thiin-Mah Warriyangka, Tharrkari and Jiwarli People v State of Western Australia  FCA 442
NATIVE TITLE - interlocutory application to be joined as a respondent in claimant application made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - whether a relevant interest is demonstrated - whether it is in the interests of justice to join - where joinder applicant is the registered native title body corporate in a different native title determination…
Judge: Barker J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.