About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 15 Feb 2018:
Smirke on behalf of the Jurruru People v State of Western Australia  FCA 101
NATIVE TITLE - proposed strike out of application for determination of native title pursuant to s 84C of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - whether native title application complies with s 61 authorisation requirements of the Act - whether there should be a finite period of time to amend application - claim group description to be amended
Judge: Barker J
- 15 Feb 2018:
Kemppi v Adani Mining Pty Ltd  FCA 105
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application for leave to appeal a decision dismissing an application for an interlocutory injunction - whether leave to appeal should be granted - whether the decision is attended by sufficient doubt to warrant being reconsidered by a Full Court and whether substantial injustice would result if leave were refused - where…
Judge: Reeves J
- 14 Feb 2018:
Gomeroi People v Attorney General of New South Wales (No 3)  FCA 71
NATIVE TITLE - costs - where applicant was replaced pursuant to s 66B of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) -whether there was relevant unreasonable conduct - no order as to costs.
Judge: Rangiah J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.