About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 14 Jun 2018:
Eagles on behalf of the combined Thiin-Mah Warriyangka, Tharrkari and Jiwarli People v State of Western Australia (No 2)  FCA 898
NATIVE TITLE - interlocutory application to be joined as a respondent in claimant application made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - where joinder application of registered native title body corporate for a different native title determination area previously dismissed - where joinder applicant is a member of the applicant - whether it is in …
Judge: Barker J
- 29 May 2018:
Akiba on behalf of the Torres Strait Regional Sea Claim v State of Queensland  FCA 772
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - native title - application to disqualify case managing judge on grounds of apprehended bias - whether hypothetical lay observer might apprehend that case managing judge might not bring an impartial mind to matters arising in case management of the proceeding - application dismissed
Judge: Mortimer J
- 24 May 2018:
Juru Enterprises Ltd v Adani Australia Company Pty Ltd  FCA 870
Judge: Rares J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.