About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 9 Nov 2018:
Margarula on behalf of the Mirarr People v Northern Territory of Australia  FCA 1670
NATIVE TITLE - where applicant filed a claimant application for a determination of native title - where the parties have agreed on the terms of a native title determination which gives effect to the reasons for judgment in Margarula v Northern Territory of Australia  FCA 1018 - Court satisfied that it is appropriate to make orders
Judge: Griffiths J
- 6 Nov 2018:
Tommy on behalf of the Yinhawangka Gobawarrah v State of Western Australia  FCA 1671
NATIVE TITLE - interlocutory application for vacation of hearing dates and programming orders for separate question regarding overlap between three native title applications - funding not currently available to one native title applicant - circumstances in which it is appropriate to adjourn a hearing where a native title applicant is or may become …
Judge: Mortimer J
- 31 Oct 2018:
Mumbin v Northern Territory of Australia  FCA 1646
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application for an extension of time for the applicant to file a report on connection in respect of its native title determination application - application for non-party discovery under r 20.23 of the Federal Court Rules 2011 (Cth)
Judge: Griffiths J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.