The goal of PJSI is to build fairer societies across the Pacific by enabling the provision of more accessible, just, efficient, timely and responsive court services.
PJSI will contribute to our goal by supporting Partner Courts in 15 Pacific Island Courts to deliver more just outcomes. PJSI reports continuously to the region’s Chief Justices.
PJSI will address the developmental needs of Partner Courts, as identified in regional consultations. These have been identified as:
- Expanding access to justice to and through the courts;
- Increasing efficient delivery of substantive justice outcomes; and
- Increasing efficient delivery of procedural justice services.
In Phase II of PJSI, the project will:
- Continue to focus on addressing the development challenges to ensure results from Phase I are further supported and embedded;
- Introduce three pilot activities across the areas of legal aid, bar associations and sustainable development goals; and
- Create a transitional/bridging mechanism for any further phase of MFAT support in promoting improved justice for the people of the Pacific.
Outcomes and Activities
PJSI will support our Partner Courts in achieving two long-term outcomes:
- Judicial Leadership – judicial leaders are more capable of leading and managing change locally.
- Performance – court services are more accessible, responsive, fair and efficient.
We will collaborate with our 15 Partner Courts to:
- Strengthen ongoing court leadership processes;
- Achieve priority changes to promote accessibility, human rights, and gender and family violence awareness;
- Promote and ensure the sustainability of entry level and ongoing education for judicial and court officers provided by entities within the Pacific; and
- Efficiently administer court performance, measurement, management and accountability.