Are You Sure?
9 August 2018
Australian Academy of Science and Australian Academy of Law Joint Symposium
Date: Thursday 23 August 2018, 5.00pm
Federal Court's Ceremonial Court
Level 21 Law Courts Building, Queen's Square, Sydney
Register: by 20 August 2018
Fellows of both Academies and full-time students by emailing AALSecretariat@academyoflaw.org.au (no registration fee applies)
All others by paying $25 registration fee as detailed below
This joint symposium sees the Australian Academy of Law and the Australian Academy of Science come together to present discussions around:
- Scientific certainty compared with legal certainty, and scientific decision-making compared with decision-making by courts
- The difference between the scientific assessment of evidence and the assessment of evidence by the courts
- The different notions of what is evidence and the different timeframes for reaching a decision
- Cause and effect in science and law
- Unconscious predispositions (biases) of judges and witnesses
- The presentation and treatment of expert scientific evidence in the courts
- Uncertainty as part of certainty
The Hon Stephen Gageler AC
- Professor Max Coltheart AM FAA
Emeritus Professor of Cognitive Science, Macquarie University
- Professor Kerrie Mengersen FAA
Australian Laureate Fellow and Professor of Statistics, QUT
- The Hon Chief Justice James Allsop AO
Chief Justice of the Federal Court of Australia
- The Hon Robert French AC
Former Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia
Fellows of both academies and full-time students are free of charge.
Registration fee payment: $25 (covers refreshments) to be paid via EFT by 20 August 2018.
Bank: National Australia Bank
Account name: Australian Academy of Law
BSB: 082 902
Account number: 827239044
Please ensure you have included your name as the 'reference' for your payment.