Practice Note GEN 1
Court sittings and Registry hours
Practice Note GEN 1 issued on 1 August 2011 is revoked and the following Practice Note is substituted.
1. The Court will list proceedings in the original jurisdiction of the Court and applications in those proceedings during the period beginning on the first Monday in February and ending on the last Friday before 23 December in each calendar year.
2. Unless the Court otherwise orders a proceeding or an application in a proceeding will not be set down for hearing outside the period in paragraph 1.
3. To obtain a hearing outside the period in paragraph 1, a party must lodge with the Registry:
(a) an affidavit, in addition to any other documentation that the Rules require to be filed, setting out why a hearing is sought outside the period in paragraph 1; and
(b) a draft of the orders sought for the hearing outside the period in paragraph 1.
4. The sittings of the Full Court in the Court’s original or appellate jurisdiction and for a single Judge to exercise the Court’s appellate jurisdiction shall be held in each year at such times and places as the Chief Justice directs.
5. At the direction of the Chief Justice an appeal or an application may be listed for hearing before a Full Court or a single judge outside of the Full Court and appellate sittings that the Chief Justice has directed in paragraph 4.
6. Details of the opening times for each District Registry are to be found on the Court’s website http://www.fedcourt.gov.au.
7. A Registry may at the direction of a Judge or Registrar be opened at other times for urgent business.
8. A party wishing to communicate with the Court may do so in writing but any communication must be copied to all other parties. The Court will not act upon a communication from a party which has not been copied to the other parties, unless there are special reasons why this should occur. See paragraph 7.16 of Practice Note CM 23 for information about lodging case management correspondence in any proceeding created with an electronic court file.