About this NPA
The Taxation National Practice Area (NPA) includes proceedings relating to:
- tax appeals pursuant to Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 from decisions made by the Commissioner of Taxation
- questions of law and taxation on appeal from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
- any recovery or other proceeding collateral to a tax dispute.
- 13 Oct 2017:
Keris Pty Ltd (Trustee) v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 164
TAXATION - consideration of the construction to be attributed to s 255-100 of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 (Cth) conferring a power on the Commissioner to require "you" to give the Commissioner security for the "due payment of an existing or future *tax-related liability of yours" - consideration of the subject matter of the power and the…
Judge: Greenwood, McKerracher and Moshinsky JJ
- 26 Sep 2017:
Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Ziolkowski  FCA 1151
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - leave to serve originating application, statement of claim, affidavit and other documents outside jurisdiction
Judge: Griffiths J
- 25 Sep 2017:
Commissioner of Taxation v Tamarama Fresh Juices Australia Pty Ltd  FCAFC 154
TAXATION - whether disclosure of protected material sought by the issue of a subpoena was "necessary...for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of a taxation law" within the meaning of s 355-75 of Sch 1 to the Taxation Administration Act 1953 (Cth) (the Act) - whether primary judge erred in finding that disclosure was necessary for…
Judge: Middleton, Gilmour and Jagot JJ
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 6 Nov 2014:
Deductions - Revenue v capital - What’s good for the goose is good for the gander?
A Paper delivered at the Tax Institute’s 22nd National Tax Intensive Retreat, Sheraton Noosa Resort, Queensland.
- 15 Mar 2016: Tax Ethics Seminar - Model litigation obligations what are they, what do they add and how are they enforced? Chaired by Justice Davies
Forms & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing tax matters are:
- Appeals under Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 against an objection decision including private rulings:
- Appeals from the AAT under the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975:
- Applications for judicial review under section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903:
The Pro Forma Taxation Questionnaire is also relevant.
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.