About this NPA
The Taxation National Practice Area (NPA) includes proceedings relating to:
- tax appeals pursuant to Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 from decisions made by the Commissioner of Taxation
- questions of law and taxation on appeal from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
- any recovery or other proceeding collateral to a tax dispute.
- 18 Aug 2017:
Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Whiteman  FCA 951
TAXATION – Application for summary judgment in relation to tax debts – application for stay of proceedings whilst Part IVC proceedings afoot challenging tax debt – application for stay of execution of judgment whilst Part IVC proceedings afoot challenging tax debt PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE – Application for summary judgment in relation to tax debts – …
Judge: Davies J
- 11 Aug 2017:
Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Batchelor  FCA 950
TAXATION - Application for summary judgment in relation to tax debts - no defence filed and no reasonable prospects of success PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - summary judgment on where no defence filed - no reasonable prospects of success
Judge: Davies J
- 10 Aug 2017:
Juneja v Tax Practitioners Board  FCA 908
ADMINISTRATIVE LAW - consideration of an appeal brought under s 44(1) of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975 (Cth) against a decision made by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal - whether applicants have identified an error of law in the Tribunal's reasons - where the Tribunal affirmed the decisions of the Tax Practitioners Board…
Judge: Besanko J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 6 Nov 2014:
Deductions - Revenue v capital - What’s good for the goose is good for the gander?
A Paper delivered at the Tax Institute’s 22nd National Tax Intensive Retreat, Sheraton Noosa Resort, Queensland.
- 15 Mar 2016: Tax Ethics Seminar - Model litigation obligations what are they, what do they add and how are they enforced? Chaired by Justice Davies
Forms & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing tax matters are:
- Appeals under Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 against an objection decision including private rulings:
- Appeals from the AAT under the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975:
- Applications for judicial review under section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903:
The Pro Forma Taxation Questionnaire is also relevant.
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.