About this NPA
The Employment and Industrial Relations National Practice Area (NPA) comprises of civil and criminal matters arising under the Fair Work jurisdiction and related legislation including:
- workplace-related applications
- writs of mandamus or prohibition
- matters transferred or appealed from the Federal Circuit Court, other Courts or the Fair Work Commission.
- 21 Mar 2019:
Sawtell v P. J. Clarke Investments (Qld) Pty Ltd  FCA 385
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - notice of appeal - failure to state grounds of appeal - decision not attendant with arguable appellable error - appeal dismissed PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - respondent corporation not represented by a lawyer - compliance with rule dispensed with - compliance would be an unnecessary formality
Judge: Flick J
- 15 Mar 2019:
Moffet v Dental Corporation Pty Ltd  FCA 344
INDUSTRIAL LAW - whether Respondent misrepresented employment as independent contracting arrangement - whether Respondent failed to make payments for accrued but untaken annual leave - whether Respondent failed to make payments with respect to accrued long service leave - whether Applicant was an employee or independent contractor at common law -…
Judge: Flick J
- 13 Mar 2019:
Liu v Stephen Grubits and Associates (No 2)  FCAFC 42
Judge: Reeves, Kerr and Lee JJ
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing proceedings are:
- Commencing an originating application alleging dismissal in contravention of a general protection proceeding:
- Commencing application for a writ of mandamus, prohibition or injunction under section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth) must file:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.