Draft Practice Notes and Consultation
The Federal Court is in the process of its implementation of the National Court Framework (NCF). This website has a summary of the NCF reforms, including a description of the eight National Practice Areas (NPAs).
The key purpose of the NCF is to reinvigorate its approach to case management by further modernising the Court's operations so that the Court is better placed to meet the demands of litigants, nationally and internationally.
A key component of this reform is the review of the Court's practice documents to ensure nationally consistent and simplified practice. Currently, the Court has approximately 60 practice documents governing how it operates, however it is expected that under the NCF there will no longer be administrative State-based notices and practice documents will be refined to no more than 25 – 30 documents.
The Court has conducted public consultation exercises to seek feedback from the profession on the draft Central Practice Note, draft National Practice Area (NPA) Practice Notes and draft Class Actions Practice Note.
Note: The following Practice Notes are for consultation purposes only. They have not been issued. The links referred to within each Practice Note will be inserted upon each of the Practice Notes.
- Central Practice Note (pdf 239 kb) (docx 54 kb)
- Administrative and Constitutional Law and Human Rights NPA (pdf 173 kb) (docx 43 kb)
- Admiralty and Maritime NPA (pdf 192 kb) (docx 38 kb)
- Class Actions (pdf 241 kb) (docx 70 kb)
- Commercial and Corporations NPA (pdf 213 kb) (docx 61 kb)
- Employment and Industrial Relations NPA (pdf 193 kb) (docx 38 kb)
- Intellectual Property NPA (pdf 187 kb) (docx 45 kb)
- Native Title NPA (pdf 146 kb) (docx 41 kb)
- Taxation NPA (pdf 167 kb) (docx 41 kb)
There are no current consultation forums at this time.